Founded in 1868, the Parish of Trinity originally met in a Barlow Block basement on Main Street and was founded by returning Civil War veterans from the Village of Sing Sing. The new parish became a tenant in the original wooden structure of First Presbyterian Church, then located on the present site at 7 South Highland Avenue.
The fifth of architect Robert W. Gibson’s series of English Gothic churches in New York, Trinity was built in 1891 on the site of the former Presbyterian church. It is the last of the Downtown Ossining Historic District churches to be built. The building, which has the traditional cruciform footprint laid out on an east-west axis, contains several stained glass windows originally designed by the Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios and John Gotham and Company. The Westminster Chimes within the church’s bell tower strike every quarter hour and can be heard throughout downtown Ossining. The parish house wing, added in 1905, gives it a U-shaped layout unique among Gibson’s work.
Under the pastoral guidance of our eighth rector, the Reverend Canon Charles P. Pridemore, Trinity built on its liturgical roots in Anglo-Catholic worship, while proclaiming the Gospel of Christ to Ossining and the wider community. Some innovations in our worship instituted by Father Pridemore include the Blessing of the Animals on St. Francis’ Day and the Service of Lessons and Carols at Christmas.
Our parish is home to people from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. We are single, engaged, married, widowed, gay and lesbian, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Together we are a loving family known as Trinity Church, living our lives as Christ would have us live them.
Those who have provided clerical leadership are:
The Rev. Clarence E. Buell, 1868-1871
The Rev. George W. Ferguson, 1872-1905
The Rev. Gibson W. Harris, 1907-1937
The Rev. Edward N. West, 1937-1941
The Rev. Donald W. Lloyd, 1941-1974
The Rev. F. George Arndt, 1974-1984
The Rev. J. Kevin Philips, 1985-1989
The Rev. Vincent Young (Priest-in-Charge), 1990-1992
The Rev. Canon Charles P. Pridemore, 1994-2011
The Rev. Cooper Conway (Interim), 2011-2013
The Rev. Cooper Conway (Priest-in-Charge), 2015-2021
The Rev. Dr. Charles D. Mayer (acting Priest-in-Charge), 2021 – current